The food isn't really for the sick person, since they can't seem to eat a thing, instead, the chicken dishes are to help the family members who are busy fluffing pillows and making Jell-O for their dear one who is under the weather.
I know. Don't ask. It's just what we do.
Here's what to expect when a Southern Belle gets the flu:
1. The Sunday School prayer chain will immediately be set in motion.
2. Johnny-Mack from the pharmacy will deliver meds to the house and put it on her tab.
3. Fluids must be served in Great-Aunt Mae-Rae's crystal bedside decanter. It just tastes better that way.
5. The pajamas match the robe, which also match the sheets, and they all complement her eye color.
7. Grandmother's vintage hankies are stacked on the bedside table, not rough paper tissues.
8. The good Husband automatically knows to cancel her 4 committee meetings, hair appointment and lunch dates.
9. No Nyquil. Straight Bourbon.
10. The favorite dog gets to sleep at the foot of the bed.
11. She will want to watch reruns of Designing Women and Downton Abbey.
12. Get the monogramed stationery ready - once she can hold her head up off the bed, the Belle starts writing thank-you notes to those who cared enough to send food or help with her children. Bless their sweet lil'ole' hearts!
If your favorite Belle comes down with the flu, here's a sure fire way to nurse her back to health and get a lovely thank-you note.
Get - Better - Soon Chicken Soup
8 cups chicken stock
2-3 medium sized boneless chicken breasts
2 cups chopped celery
2 cups chopped carrots
1 1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green bell peppers
1 pkg (6oz) uncooked egg noodles
salt and pepper to taste
1-3 dashes Tabasco Green Jalapeno Pepper Sauce
Boil chicken in stock until cooked. Remove and set aside. Add celery, carrots, onion and green peppers to the stock. Bring to a boil. Add egg noodles. Reduce to simmer, add salt, pepper, Tabasco. Cut chicken into bite size pieces and return to pot. Continue to simmer until noodles are cooked through.
To your health, y'all.
Find this recipe and others like it at Coastal Charm, Savvy Southern Style, The Dedicated House, Between Naps on the Porch, Cedar Hill Ranch, Southern Lovely, From My Front Porch to Yours Have A Daily Cup of Mrs. Olsen, French Country Cottage, My Romantic Home, The Charm of Home, Mockingbird Hill Cottage, Six Sister's Stuff, Funky Junk, Happy Go Lucky , My Turn For Us, Tilly's Nest and Stone Gable.